Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Did my ears deceive me?

Ok... I just want to meet people who say that United States is the Land of Freedom.
I want to hear the reasons why they say such thing.
And prepare yourself America, I have some counter-arguments for you.

First of all, I need to tell you that for Thanksgiving holiday, my friends and I are going on a road trip to LA tomorrow!!! I hope I can sleep well tonight because, hell yeah, I'm so excited.
Part of this trip is also a birthday celebration for my friend Jessie.. Happy birthday jes!
Preparation is critical so we spent 2 weeks to get everything in the right place.
Places-to-go-to-list....... Checked.
Hotel reservation....... Checked.
Clothes....... Checked.
Cars....... Not Checked, because everyone is under 21 years old. Silly isn't it?

So here's what happened.
My friends tried to rent 2 cars for the road trip. We went to this one place called A**s near our apartment. This is the conversation that happened...

Jessie : Hi, we want to rent a car..
A**s Receptionist (AR) : Sorry, we're all booked for today.
Fiona : No, no, it's not for today. We need it on wednesday through Monday.
AR : Ok, let me check if there's any car available.
Fiona : Actually we need 2 cars.
AR : Is it the regular size you want.
Jessie : Yes.
AR : Okay, so two cars for 5 business days, the total is bla..bla..bla.. I'll need your credit card.
Jessie : Um.. Is it okay if we use debit card?
AR : You can do that, but you need to be at least 25 years old to use a debit card. Is one of you 25 years old or more?
*5 first semester college students stared at each other...*
Fiona : Well, we're college students so... Anyway if we have a credit than everything will be fine right?
AR : Only if one of you is over 21 years old. Who'll be driving?
Jessie : Me and one of my friends.
AR : Are you 21 years old?
Jessie : Well.... *Staring at us, looking for back up*, no.
AR : Oh... I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to rent you a car if the driver is under aged.

The next few lines are originally spoken in Indonesian, still in front of the AR.
Jessie : So, what are we gonna do? Start lying?
Me : Yeah, just say that the other driver is 21.
Fiona : Ask her if we can deposit money or something for the car.
Jessie : This is starting to get annoying. Why are our ages a problem?

AR : So?
Jessie : Can we like deposit money or something?
AR : No, the only problem is the age. I'm sorry. And even if you have a credit card, you'll be charge 50 dollars extra for each car because you're under 21.
Me : WTF??!!! (Of course I didn't say it out loud.. =P)

This conversation happened at 3 different car rentals.
I thought I decided to study here to taste that freedom that everybody was talking about.

They say Indonesia is a cultural country, with many moralities and stuffs.
The fact that a junior high is allowed to drive without a license in Indonesia, well, I really question the existence of that USA freedom (and Indonesian morals of course... *big smile*).
Facts for Indonesian who thinks that college life in USA is similar to those in movies :
1. You need to show your ID to buy cigarettes (18+) or alcohol (21+)
2. After six months, I never see couples make out in movie theaters (I looked around EVERYTIME).
3. You need to be 21+ to get into a club. There are some 18+ club, but you'll drink a glass of orange juice or a diet soda without a 21+ ID.

So, if you want to taste a happy, full of fun college life, stay away from USA.
I've heard stories from my friends who go to college in Indonesia and they have a WILDER life there. Those movies trick me big time...

1 comment:

ChEe_A said...

hahaha... here, u r allowed to drink alcohol when u r 19 or above!! pindah sini aja ta... =P
anyway... jangan lupa add blog gue!! hehe...